Have Debra Lee Baldwin Address Your Group!
Celebrity horticulturist and bestselling author Debra Lee Baldwin shows how to use succulents to add beauty, sophistication and whimsy to gardens large and small. Presentations are one hour (45-50 minutes plus Q&A). Before and after, Debra is available to meet attendees and sign books.
“One of the best speakers we have here.” ~ Ron Vanderhoff, Roger’s Gardens Nursery, Corona del Mar, CA
EVENT PUBLICITY: Debra routinely helps promote the host venue via social media, her website and her e-newsletter. See the About Debra page for more info about her brand and following.
are customized for every group and updated often.
“DESIGNING WITH SUCCULENTS” ~ Whether your yard is a boulder-strewn slope or a tiny balcony, Debra offers simple, practical ways to create a lovely, low-maintenance garden that needs minimal water. Debra will introduce readily available varieties of succulents, explain how to care for them, and show how to combine them in fresh and appealing ways — both in home landscapes and creative container gardens.
A SLIDE SHOW requires a digital projector, screen, microphone and darkened room, plus a table and chairs for the book signing.
A PLANT SHOW-AND-TELL OR POTTING DEMO can be done outdoors, and requires a work table, a clip-on microphone, separate table for the book signing, and supplies (nursery plants, pots, soil, water, etc.).
Award-winning garden photojournalist and author Debra Lee Baldwin launched global interest in succulents in 2007 with her first book, Designing with Succulents. She wrote two other Timber Press bestsellers, Succulents Simplified and Succulent Container Gardens. Debra, who lives near San Diego, spent a decade contributing to Sunset magazine and applies the “Sunset aesthetic” to everything she does: books, photos, presentations, newsletters, articles, social media and more. Her YouTube videos alone have had nearly 4,000,000 views. Debra’s own half-acre garden has been in Better Homes and Gardens and other publications. In 2017, the San Diego Horticultural Society presented her with a lifetime achievement award.
Debra is proud to announce the celebratory 10th anniversary, completely revised and updated second edition of Designing with Succulents. Beautifully illustrated with 400 photos, it encapsulates the essentials of the original along with a decade’s worth of visually exciting ideas for waterwise gardens large and small.
- “The growing interest in succulents on the part of the gardening public can be attributed primarily to one person: Debra Lee Baldwin.” ~ Australian nurseryman and author Attila Kaptitany, in his address to the biennial convention of the Cactus & Succulent Society of America.
- “For the last 2 years I’ve had attendees call to get your speaking schedule before they arranged their vacation.” ~ Sherry Larson, San Francisco Flower & Garden Show
- “You received many accolades at our board meeting for your presentation. There were over 400 people there, an all-time record. It will go down as one of the most memorable evenings. What you are doing is magic.” ~ Judy Bradley, events chairperson, San Diego Horticultural Society
- “Presentation was superb…Very articulate, interesting, humorous and enthusiastic…Great speaker–best of the day–I never wanted succulents before but I now have a list to incorporate into my garden…Lively and dynamic speaker. Beautiful photos, relevant subject…Great slideshow–didn’t want it to end…Loved it–we need more classes like this…Bring her back!” ~ Attendees at the UCCE Master Gardeners spring symposium
- “Debra Lee Baldwin and her books have lit up the gardening world.” ~ Ron Vanderhoff, nursery manager, Roger’s Gardens, Orange County, CA
- “Debra, you have given so much and have so much more to give. If there is any one thing I am convinced of about you, it is that while you have been a force in helping and motivating people to be adventurous with succulent plants, you are uniquely you…a writer, teacher, artist and more.” ~ Robin Stockwell, owner, Succulent Gardens Nursery, Castroville, CA
- “Just wanted to tell you what an incredible impact you’ve had on our island. We think of you with such warmth. A neighbor and I were chatting about our Garden Club and she said, ‘you know, my favorite of all the speakers we’ve ever had was Debra Lee Baldwin.’ You really opened our eyes to, and gave us a love for, succulents.” ~ Clare Doyle, president, Boca Grande Garden Club (a Garden Club of America affiliate), Florida
- “I put to use many of the things I learned from you and your books and my garden is now a show-stopper. I should put up a sign giving you credit!” ~ Christy Bradley, Junior League of Pasadena Garden Club, CA
Past Speaking Engagements ~
Epcot Center International Flower & Garden Festival, Orlando, FL
Sunset Magazine’s Spring Weekend Festival
Eco-Xpo, San Juan Capistrano, CA
Succulent Celebration near San Diego
Honolulu Garden Club
Garden Club of America National Hort Conference
Philadelphia International Flower Show
San Francisco Flower & Garden Show
Huntington Botanical Gardens
Northwest Flower & Garden Show, Seattle
Succulent Extravaganza near San Francisco
Yard, Garden & Patio Show, Portland
San Francisco Botanical Garden
Denver Botanical Garden
San Diego Botanic Garden
Los Angeles Arboretum
Water Conservation Garden, El Cajon, CA
Ruth Bancroft Garden, Walnut Creek, CA
Master Gardener Seminars, San Diego and Orange counties
University of California, Davis
University of California, Berkeley
Charleston, S.C. Horticultural Society
Roger’s Gardens nursery, Corona del Mar, CA
Sherman Gardens, Corona del Mar, CA
Descanso Gardens, La Canada Flintridge, CA
Spring Garden Show, South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA
San Diego County Fair
San Diego Horticultural Society
Spring Home/Garden Show, San Diego
Cal State Flower & Garden Show, Cal Expo, Sacramento
Junior League of Pasadena
Cactus & Succulent Society of America (CSSA) biennial convention
CSSA affiliates in California, Arizona and Texas
Public libraries, various locations
Garden clubs, various locations
Bookstores, various locations
Nurseries, wholesale and retail, various locations
View Debra Lee Baldwin’s page on the Great Garden Speakers website.
Contact Debra to schedule a presentation.