Why Grow Succulents?
There are numerous reasons why succulents have become so popular.
Many more people are growing succulents nowadays because the plants…
- Are a good lawn alternative for regions with water shortages.
- Are fire-resistant plants for backcountry gardens prone to wildfire.
- Are easy to cultivate and propagate.
- Need minimal maintenance.
- Range in size from ground covers to trees.
- Have pleasing geometric shapes
- Add interest to gardens large and small
- Are intriguing year-round
- Come in every color including blue
- Produce long-lasting, vivid flowers
- New cultivars are being introduced all the time.
For a New York Magazine reporter’s shocking take on the Succulent Phenomenon, see How to Kill Succulents.
[…] are basically cacti without spikes—are ridiculously popular with city dwellers. Once derided as an unsophisticated poor man’s plant, these Instagram-friendly little blooms can now be […]
Echeverias are rosette shaped, as are greenovias.
Never plant succulents or cacti in pure sand. This is how you kill them. Sand does not provide the plant with any nutrition. Not even cacti or succulents can grow in the Sahara to give you an idea. These kind of plants still need soil that has some amount of organic matter to supplement growth and flowering.