I created my video "Top 20 Succulent Types at a Glance" (above) because of an email question I get asked often: "Can you ID my succulent?"
Since I live and breathe succulents, it's easy for me to recognize many---if not the species or cultivar, usually the genus. (Cacti are more tricky, although I do know a cactus when I see one.)
To make things easy for you to remember and provide a useful overview, in the video I take you on a tour of 20 types all succulent lovers will want to recognize at a glance.
Now, what about my ID'ing your mystery succulent? At the risk of being flooded with inquiries, please know I'm happy to do so for my "Celebrating the Joy of Succulents" subscribers. Receiving my newsletter is also the only way to send me a photo: Hit "Reply" and attach it. Do mention where you're located (city or region), especially if you want me to ID a pest or problem...AFTER you've been to my Pests & Problems page, please!
WANT more on a CERTAIN variety? Go to:
- Aeonium page on my site, my Aeonium playlist on YouTube
- Agave page on my site, my Agave video on YouTube
- Aloe page on my site, my Aloe playlist on YouTube
- Beaucarnea -- On my site, Succulents for Easy-Care Landscapes
- Cacti page on my site, my Cactus playlist on YouTube
- Cotyledon -- In my book, Designing with Succulents, pp 201-203
- Crassula page on my site, Debra Defends Jade Plant on YouTube
- Dasylirion, No-Water Succulents on my site
- Dudleya page on my site
- Echeveria page on my site, my Echeveria playlist on YouTube
- Euphorbia page on my site, Landscape Euphorbias on YouTube
- Haworthia Desk Buddies on my site, also on YouTube
- Ice Plant page on my site, my Ice Plant video on YouTube
- Kalanchoe page on my site, my Kalanchoe video on YouTube
- Portulacaria afra page on my site, Portulacaria afra video
- Sansevieria -- Shade Succulents page on my site, my Sansevieria Arrangement on YouTube
- Sedum on my site, Sedum video on YouTube
- Sempervivum on my site, Sempervivum arrangement on YouTube
- Senecio page on my site, Senecio prune-and-replanting on YouTube
- Yuccas, No-Water Succulents page on my site
Debra’s Dozen Easy-Grow Succulent Plants for Beginners
Trying to make sense out of succulents? There are numerous varieties, but these are the most common succulents and those you’ll likely run across. Enjoy growing and discovering these fascinating “plants that drink responsibly!”
Aeonium Uses, Photos and Varieties Native to the Canary Islands and Morocco, aeoniums thrive outdoors in zone 9 (and higher if in dappled shade). Prune and replant in autumn. See All Succulent Types Aeonium Agaves Aloes Cactus Crassula Echeveria Euphorbias Ice Plants Kalanchoe Portulacaria Senecio About Aeoniums Aeonium rosettes resemble big, fleshy-petalled daisies. Colors include green,…
With the exception of a few soft-leaved and variegated varieties, agaves want sun—the more the better in all but desert climates. Most are hardy to the mid- to high-20s F, and some go a lot lower. Sharp points at leaf tips and along leaf edges can make agaves treacherous. I snip about a quarter inch from leaves’ needlelike tips with garden shears.
Ice Plant Uses, Photos, and Varieties What you need to know to successfully select and grow ice plants. Gallery of warm-climate varieties, all ID’d See All Succulent Types Aeonium Agaves Aloes Cactus Crassula Echeveria Euphorbias Ice Plants Kalanchoe Portulacaria Senecio See the Video About Ice plants Succulent ice plants have in common shimmering, daisylike flowers.…
Kalanchoe: Details, Photos and Varieties Native to Madagascar, kalanchoes thrive outdoors in zone 9 (and higher if in dappled shade). Protect from frost. See All Succulent Types Aeonium Agaves Aloes Cactus Crassula Echeveria Euphorbias Ice Plants Kalanchoe Portulacaria Senecio >> Jump Down to the Gallery All the kalanchoes in the video are also in the…
Echeveria Info, Photos & Varieties How to grow echeverias perfectly, plus an extensive gallery, all ID’d See All Succulent Types Aeonium Agaves Aloes Cactus Crassula Echeveria Euphorbias Ice Plants Kalanchoe Portulacaria Senecio About Echeverias Here you’ll find expert advice to help you grow echeverias perfectly, with a gallery of 150+ beautiful, notable species and cultivars.…